Friday, February 10, 2012


(Finally! The first real post~ yay!)

Whenever we have a headache what do we do? The advise of doctors, media and society have taught us to go to the bathroom cabinet and take 1 or 2 tablets of the non-prescribed painkiller of your choice, and go about your day. Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and mixes or variations of all three are the most common. Yet, along with these medication's amazing ability to cease the throbbing in our heads, there's a constant risk of damage being done else where in the body. For example, they all have warnings on their labels about your liver being affected, or that long term continual use may increase your risk of heart attacks or strokes. It can also be dangerous for pregnant or breastfeeding women. So isn't there anything we can take for the pain that doesn't have so many cons? Fortunately, yes~ but I'll come to that point in a bit.

Causes of headaches~
From a personal point of view, I'd say that the majority of my headaches are due to not sleeping well, or not getting enough sleep,  caffeine withdrawal, and tension in my neck muscles. Rarely ever have I had a migraine, though I have experienced a few, the last one more recently. An estimated 15% of the population~ around 40 million Americans~ have at least one headache a week. It is also estimated that 90% of headaches are tension related, which usually begin in the back of the head or neck and spread outward in a dull type of pain that doesn't throb. (I get those all the time.) The other 10%, including migraines, cluster headaches, and those horrid I-haven't-had-caffeine-today headaches are caused by the dilation and constriction of the blood vessels in your head that set off pain nerves. A classic migraine results in severe throbbing, usually on one side of the head and can often bring with it visual disturbance, not to mention nausea and vomiting. 25 million Americans are afflicted with the misery of migraine headaches, and my own sister has had her fair share of them. It is said that plenty more woman than men have migraines, but for unknown reasons. In our own family, I would venture to say that the biggest causes of headaches has been~ for some reason~ going through puberty, (both my dad and my sister experienced this, as have I, to some degree) and for the girls, menstrual periods.

So...what to do about it~
I am, (and have friends and family) that are plagued often with headaches, so I thought this would be a great topic to explore! In my own experience, what works without fail is the amazing Peppermint Essential Oil.

 Peppermint Oil has proven over and over to be one of the very best natural resources to help alleviate headaches~ at least in my opinion it is. I have come to love this awesome oil, and the healing properties it has. A drop or two of the oil applied to the temple and/or the base of the head will work wonders. Personally, I really love the cooling sensation you get as it soaks into the skin. Refreshing, to say the least, and you can apply it as much as needed with out the worry of harmful and horrible chemicals circulating in the blood stream. You can also mix it with lavender, rosemary, and eucalyptus oils if available. However, these oils are for external use only. :) I don't think you'll be disappointed!
The more natural you can get with your food, drink, and medicine, the healthier you will be and all the better it is for you. God wasn't kidding when he made all of these wonderful plants for our healing. It seems like a lot of 'health professionals' or doctors nowadays look down upon herbs and herbal remedies, simply because they've been taught to believe that 'chemical medicines' are the way to go. But they aren't right~ and herbs are starting to have more of a reputation for healing, I think. Anyhow, my goal is to stay as close to the 'real thing' as possible. :) So the next time you feel the onset of a headache, whip out that Peppermint Oil and use it instead of a synthetic chemical. :) 

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Welcome to The Apothecary Shoppe!

Hello to you all! I'm so excited to be launching this new blog of mine, and posting all about herbs and natural hygiene! Come take a look around and enjoy yourself. I have many topics on my mind to start with, so I'll be writing here often.:) Share with me what you think about it all!

~ Danielle